Know the Amazing Benefits of Steam Therapy
Enjoying steam therapy is one of the best things you can do for your health.
Steam therapy is not a new concept. Ancient Egyptians knew the benefits of inhalation therapy and built public baths. Even today, experts recommend steam therapy to treat many health problems, especially those related to the respiratory system.
Traditional Method Using a Bowl of Hot Water
A bowl of steaming hot water is the traditional steam therapy method. This type of steam therapy is beneficial for facial cleansing and respiratory problems
- Boil a few cups of water, then pour the steaming water into a large bowl.
- Put the bowl on a firm, flat surface.
- Hold a towel over your head like a tent to help trap the steam.
- Lean over the bowl and inhale the steam.
For added benefit, you can add a few drops of any essential oil of your choice.
Turn Your Bathroom into a Steam Room
One of the easiest ways to enjoy a steam shower is to buy a steam shower kit that comes ready for installation. But if you do not want to spend extra money, you can still turn your bathroom into a steam room. It is easy to do, just follow these tips:
- Use a small heater for 10 to 15 minutes to warm up your bathroom before turning on the water. Remove the heater from the bathroom before turning on the shower.
- If you have a humidifier, use it to steam up your bathroom easily.
- Seal up gaps around the window and door frame to prevent the steam from escaping.
- Keep a bathrobe, towels, and essential oil handy. Also, keep drinking water in a bottle nearby.
- Pour a few drops of your favorite essential oil into a small bowl of boiling water, and place it somewhere near the shower.
- Turn your shower to the hottest temperature but make sure not to get in the shower or you will burn your skin.
- Find a comfortable seat in the bathroom and place a towel to sit on it. Allow the steam to penetrate your skin and open up your pores.
- Enjoy the steam bath for 10 to 15 minutes and keep drinking water from time to time.
- Once done, take a cool shower to bring your body temperature back to normal. Pat dry your body thoroughly and apply a good moisturizer to further hydrate and nourish your skin.
Caution: If the temperature becomes excessively high, immediately turn off the hot water and drink some water.